Community Teen LeadersPrevention Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the Dream Resource Center operated by Helpline Youth Counseling, Inc., at Fedde Middle School and Norwalk High School, the Prevention Specialists will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the program's expansion to prominently center youth voice in developing solutions to gang violence and substance abuse in their communities.
Under the direct supervision of the Dream Center Manager, the Prevention Specialists will/be:
- Responsible for developing a youth action plan that is tailored to the unique needs and current drivers of violence in the cities of Hawaiian Gardens and Norwalk.
- Responsible for implementing the Community Teens Leader Group within the Fedde Middle School, Norwalk High School and surrounding areas.
- Responsible for providing gang perception and substance abuse education for students, parents and community members and support for local community residents who have directly or indirectly been impacted by gang violence.
- Responsible for developing and implementing a youth-led mural.
- Support to the Dream Resource Center's operations, programs, supporting the growth of art-based workshops, implementing restorative justice techniques and activities in the Dream Resource Centers.
- Assist in leading and facilitating collaborative and community capacity building efforts which may include summit, conferences, townhall meetings.
- Develop, organize, and collaborate to coordinate and/or participate in outreach activities/events and/or educational presentations to support youth program implementation.
- Support Dream Resource Center staff with social media messaging, promotion of events/activities.
- Responsible for developing, creating, and disseminating educational information to school campus administrators, students and community members.
- Build the capacity of students to learn and apply leadership skills so that they can influence, engage, and collaborate with each other, and with staff.
- Responsible for full implementation of Program's Workplan.
- Responsible for attending any community partner meeting and training.
- Responsible for implementing a process that will ensure proper documentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in human services and/or mental health field preferred.
- The candidate must possess a minimum of one-year progressive experience working with at-risk youth and young adults in group and individual settings.
- Candidate will have lived experience with trauma, gang and/or system involvement that can utilize their own life experiences to support, engage, and motivate youth towards the identified goals.
- Experience in networking with schools, municipalities, and community agencies in providing youth services programs.
- Experience in leading, facilitating engaging and/or organizing community members, businesses, and community leaders in the implementation/adoption of a community and/or population-based effort.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able/willing to travel as position requires cross collaboration partnerships, Trainings, and Meetings across LA County.
- Superb planning and organizational skills with a proven track record for strategic planning and execution.
- Experience in leading, facilitating engaging and/or organizing youth activities.
- Strong relationship-building/maintaining, networking skills, and great organizational skills.
- Competency to work with various ethnic/cultural groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written form as well as verbally.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to pass background check and criminal clearance.
- A valid California driver's license, current auto insurance, a good driving record, and must be cleared to drive for business purposes by our insurance broker.
- Project Management experience is highly desired.
- Experience in working with a community-based organization and school districts.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is highly desired.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made, if requested, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HYC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION IS MADE WITHOUT REGARD TO AGE, RACE, COLOR RELIGION, GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, GENDER EXPRESSION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MARITAL STATUS, NATION ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, MILITARY OR VETERAN STATUS, INCLUDING PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITIES (INCLUDES HIV AND AIDS), SEX (INCLUDES PREGNANCY, CHILDBIRTH, BREASTFEEDING, AND OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.