The assistant is a skilled, technical worker who performs physical therapy treatments and related duties as assigned by the therapist.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited school for Physical Therapist Assistants.
EXPERIENCE: None required.
REGISTERED: Licensure by the Board of Physical Therapy in applicable State.
Stands, turns, bends, stoops, lifts, climbs, and uses a great majority of physical motion in performing day to day activities of work. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and do a great deal of walking without experiencing extreme fatigue. Lifting and carrying equipment supplies, and materials up to 50 lbs. without help; over 50 lbs. with the help of mechanical devices or other personnel. Operation of electrical equipment.
- Supervises Rehab Technicians.
- Treats patients after the evaluation has been performed by a Registered Physical Therapist.
- Participates in in-service training for clinical staff.
- Consult with the Physical Therapist regarding the patients progress and plan of care.
- Interacts with other departments involved with individual patients regarding patient's progress.
- Adheres to the code of ethics of the APTA.
- Reports to the staff Physical Therapists/Clinical Director concerning Physical Therapy matters.
- Carries out the physical therapy procedures according to the Plan of Care of the Registered Physical Therapist.
- Covers instructions for home treatment programs through consultation with the Registered Physical Therapist.
- Maintains proper equipment and supplies which might benefit the patient.
- Maintains proper attitude of encouragement toward the patient without giving false hope.
- Counsels patient and/or family on special problems with advice from the Registered Physical Therapist.
- Helps the patient become physically, emotionally, and socially independent.
- Utilizes proper procedures which will be in keeping with good patient care, but reasonable in expense to the department, such as supplies, equipment, linens, and time usage.
- Submit in writing to the Registered Physical Therapist/Supervisor on duty, any recorded incident or accident with patient or employee as it occurs.
- Documents on all patients' treatments received according to the policies and procedures of the physical therapy department.
SOURCE OF WORKERS: From schools and from classified ads in professional publications.
SUPERVISED BY: Staff Therapist and Clinic Director.
WORKERS SUPERVISED: Technicians/aids and students.
Powered by ApplicantStack Hiring Software