How would you like to help provide additional support and friendship to selected patients and caregivers that will improve their quality of life? Come volunteer as a Pet Companion at Cornerstone VNA and help promote the optimum level of well-being, independence, and dignity of those living in the community, by providing trusted and compassionate companionship to those in the Cornerstone VNA community.
Cornerstone VNA is currently seeking volunteers with certified therapy dogs to provide home visits to homebound seniors and disabled adults. Pet Therapy Volunteering is a wonderful way for individuals and their dogs to provide support and friendship to patients and community members. All therapy dogs and handlers must be certified through Therapy Dogs International or similar organization and are asked to commit to volunteering at least 2 hours once a week
REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION:
- Good listener and effective communicator
- Discreet and able to keep confidences
- Physically mobile
- Provide own transportation
- Pass criminal and background checks
- Establish a basis for friendship through mutuality and trust.
- Provide emotional support to patient and caregiver.
- Provide respite care as needed.
- Encourage recreational or diversional activities; such as to read to, discuss articles or books, play games, write letters, share hobbies, make scrapbooks for photos and memorabilia.
- May provide following assists as secondary to social contact; such as light housekeeping tasks.
Volunteers CAN offer friendly visits on their regularly scheduled times. Visits may include the following activities:
- Respite Care
- Prepare snacks
- Reminisce & look at photos
- Review current events
- Read the newspaper
- Read books
- Write letters
- Provide appointment reminders
- Chronicle life experiences
- Assist with recreational activities
- Take Walks
- Participate in crafts
- Do Puzzles
- Listen to music
- Play Board Games/Cards
- Watch TV/Movies