Tower Technicians support all aspects of tower installations, including all antennas and transmission lines. Tower Technicians perform construction duties on a daily basis ensuring quality construction from the foundation to erection of lattice towers, monopoles, and guyed towers.
- May perform installs on radios, antennas, and associated RF equipment
- Trouble shoots Alarms / RSSI issues at sites using supplied sweep gear.
- Perform electrical down tilts and mechanical down tilts to a variety of antennas using supplied antenna controller units.
- Run jumpers as needed to complete ongoing scopes of work.
- May devise jumper connections with knowledge from connector training.
- Complete required equipment and supply paperwork.
- Climbing communications structures, to include: guyed; self-supporting; monopoles; building/rooftops; grain silos; etc.
- Performing audits: safety; defect and quality.
- Ability to follow daily instructions and shift reports.
- Ability to run jumpers as needed to complete ongoing scopes of work.
- Fill out required paperwork and printouts.
- Applies job skills and company policies and procedures to complete assigned tasks
Recommended Minimum Job Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Typically requires 3 plus years of related experience
- Valid state-issued driver’s license is required
- MUST be a Certified Tower Climber - can be via Gravitec Systems, Inc. or ComTrain
Recommended Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Mounting, aligning, cabling, and testing of antennas, radios, and associated equipment
- Experience in completing full grounding installations, tower demolition, tower stripping and painting (erect and horizontal)
- Competent climber
- Competent rigger
- Knowledge of standard knots
- Trained in controlled descent
- Trained in use of aerial lifts
- Trained in procedures on a working platform
- Trained in procedures on a cable bridge/ice bridge
- Knowledge of UMTS and 4G
- Requires working knowledge of Microwave equipment
- Knowledge of basic electricity, grounding, and power safety
- Terminating cables and experience fixing connectors and Antenna system
- Ability to Install coaxial cable on towers, rooftop - any structure
- Strong troubleshooting skills of equipment, coax, and fiber
- Expertise in fiber testing
- Expertise in PIM and sweep testing
- Ability to work closely with others
- Team Player
- Good communication skills
- Ability to mentor and field train lower level technicians
- Travel as required, typically within a designated region
- Must be able to safely climb while carrying tools and equipment of up to 60 pounds and work on a cell site tower using safety gear that is rated for a maximum working load of 310lbs, including the climber, tools and equipment.
- Familiarity of using PIM gear and PIM troubleshooting.
- TMO experience preferred.
- Past Verizon experience or RTWP experience a plus.
- Breakfix experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration and Requirements:
- Rescue certification is preferred
- Anritsu and/or OSHA certification preferred
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred
- Must be able to climb and descend all types of tower and rooftop structures
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to travel as needed