The Survey Party Chief is responsible for planning and organizing their survey crew in order to ensure that tasks are completed correctly and efficiently. This position supervises land surveys while planning and assessing proposed field survey projects. This position gathers field data using the necessary equipment while managing the team's logistics and travel-related budgets.
- Maintaining the quality, productivity, and safety of their crew.
- Using good judgment to evaluate certain safety situations and decision-making.
- Communicating efficiently with other departments - office personnel, clients, and the general public.
- Sharing and assigning in the preparation of equipment and supplies for daily assignments.
- Setting the pace of the survey party through efficient use of all types of measuring equipment according to accepted practices and standards.
- Responsible for the precision and accuracy of the work performed, and responsible for the care of all measuring equipment and general working supplies.
- Assist in locating survey control points, property corners, pipelines/structures, and clearing lines for surveys.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of construction plans and maps (i.e., site plans, boundary plans, highway plans, profile and cross sections, horizontal and vertical curves, pipeline plans, foundation plans, and map contours)
- Directs and coordinates fieldwork for a variety of standard types of surveys
- May perform and/or check lot, area, and intersection (bearing-bearing, distance-distance, bearing-distance) computations
- Accurately calculates and records field data.
- Keep, reduce, and check (for completeness and accuracy) neat and orderly field notes for standard surveying operations (i.e., leveling, traversing, topographic mapping, layout, as-built surveys, boundary surveys, and cross-section surveys).
- Enforce Company safety procedures and policies for survey field operations.
- Implement procedures for checking and verifying the calibration of equipment being used.
Education & Experience
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, regulations, and techniques in the field of land use, environmental planning, and transportation planning.
- Knowledge of current planning research methods and information-gathering techniques.
- Knowledge of standard survey procedures, methods, and principles.
- Knowledge of basic site planning, cartography, and architectural design principles.
- Skilled in managing budgets and competing interests under strict timelines.
- Skilled in using computers and software applications in one or more of the following areas: graphics, presentations, database management, mapping, and/or data analysis.
- Skilled in working with a diverse team with varying levels of subject area expertise.
- Ability to work outside in all seasons for extended periods of time. This position requires both inside and outside work.
- Ability to travel overnight to various parts of Texas and possibly surrounding states.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a customer service-oriented team.
- Effective communication skills, oral and written.
- Must have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must pass a physical exam and drug screen.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Work outside for 8 to 10 hours a day.
- Walk up to 2 miles per day.
- Verbal and written communication is required, as well as the ability to hear.
- Driving to and from various project sites.
Benefits & Career Growth
CDS Muery offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Retirement plan with company contribution
- Life Insurance
- Company holidays
- Competitive Salaries
- Paid professional fees, licenses, and association memberships
We provide opportunities for professional growth by building knowledge and broadening skills. Our work environment cultivates the importance of open communication, encourages creative thinking, and promotes innovative ideas. From the inspiration and continued involvement of the company's leadership, our core philosophies are reinforced daily by their exemplary actions.