POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
LOCATION: Louisville, KY
STATUS: Full Time, Salaried, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director of Accounting and Finance
Volunteers of America Mid-States (VOA) is a non-profit organization spanning four states that creates positive change in the lives of individuals and communities through a ministry of service. We provide housing for families, veterans, and low-income seniors. We provide care and support for individuals with developmental disabilities, healing accountability that brings people together with restorative justice, and free HIV testing and education. When Volunteers of America was founded in 1896, "volunteer" referred to anyone who served others as a vocation through a commitment to a mission. Today, we are still staffed by paid, mission-driven professionals working to create positive change and build thriving communities. Flexibility, teamwork, and fun are some of the reasons our employees are proud to work at VOA! We offer a comprehensive benefits package to employees who meet eligibility requirements.
Volunteers of America Mid-States, offers a rich and robust benefits package the supports a healthy work life balance, which include the following:
Health and Wellness
Employee Assistance Plans (EAP)
Health and Wellness Program
Flexible Spending Account
Health Spending Account
Short Term Disability
MetLife Legal Plans
Competitive Compensation Packages
Life Insurance (company paid)
403b retirement plan with company fund matching
*Loan forgiveness options through federal programs
(National Health Corp & Public Service Loan Forgiveness)
*All company paid benefits and paid time off effective day one
Training & Development
VOA LEAD Program- Leadership Development Program
VOA University - Staff Development
VOA Academy - Clinical Training and Development
JOB SUMMARY AND QUALIFICATIONS:
This position is responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial activities for the company.
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE FOR THIS ROLE
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a related education/experience combination.
• Proficient at Microsoft Office products.
• The ability to effectively handle confidential information and materials.
• Proven oral and written communication skills.
• Experience in non-profit accounting.
• Reconcile various balance sheet accounts on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
• Enter and post billing and cash receipts information into A/R system.
• Create cash/check deposits for VOAKY and Property Corp and ensure any cash is physically delivered to the bank in a timely manner.
• Prepare and enter approved journal entries.
• Research and resolve customer account discrepancies as needed.
• Create and upload reports for EFTs and the positive pay program.
• Provide customer service to external and internal partners related to receivables.
• Assist as needed with the annual audit; prepare requested audit schedules.
• Assist with the identification of deficiencies in internal controls and the development of compensating/alternate controls to strengthen the identified weaknesses.
• Continuously search for improvements to accelerate/improve the billing process and cash application process.
• Performance Quality Improvement (PQI) duties as assigned by supervision & PQI committee.
• Other projects as assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.