The Senior LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) Software Engineer is responsible for planning, designing, developing, testing, debugging, deploying, and supporting new and existing web and desktop-based applications used throughout the business related to the HORIZON Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). He or she will provide technical leadership to multiple project teams for all facets of the project lifecycle including serving as the main touchpoint for the SLDC portion of the project, often without little or no supervision. He or she will maintain detailed work item documentation through all phases of the development lifecycle. The Senior Software Engineer also performs formal software validation and documentation to ensure compliance with various laboratory accreditations (CAP, CLIA, ISO, etc.).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with project teams to create, collect and categorize business requirements.
- Use gathered requirements to create development and architecture design documents.
- Plan, design, develop, test, debug, deploy and support new and existing web and desktop-based applications used throughout the business related to the HORIZON LIMS.
- Configure workflows and test codes (Acodes) in the HORIZON LIMS application.
- Design and develop reports and data files using the Telerik Reports application and Oracle PL/SQL.
- Develop or expand on HL7 message interfaces related to the HORIZON LIMS application.
- Uses full-stack development skillset and knowledge to guide project teams through the most complex projects.
- Participate in all stages of a project as a key resource and project leader, ensuring the SLDC activities are appropriate with the overall project lifecycle.
- Perform software analysis, code reviews, requirements analysis, and identification of code metrics, system risk analysis, and software reliability analysis.
- Configure and support database and server environments as needed.
- Work with database team to create / architect SQL/Oracle databases where required.
- Write Oracle PL/SQL functions and procedures used by other development teams to interact with the HORIZON LIMS database tables and deploy to teams as needed.
- Perform QA/QC on existing and new applications where needed.
- Identify problem areas and resolve them logically and independently. Able to identify, develop and deploy projects that reduce technical debt.
- Administer and maintain version control software; adhering to established version and change control procedures throughout development lifecycle.
- Provide application support for the software development team and custom applications under the software development teams responsibility.
- Work on corporate level project submissions and supporting documentation creation.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in process improvements, including process definition, measurement analysis, and implementation of controls.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Provide technical thought leadership and be a strong collaborator with subject matter experts, project managers, and functional leaders
- Document key SDLC processes by producing formal documents (e.g. solution architecture documents and technical system design specifications etc.)
- Take complex development projects and condense them to concise, easy to digest project summaries for senior leadership
- Create and present corporate level projects as lead submitter
- Provide input on strategic plan for new IT solutions and architecture.
- Working with project management team, develop project timelines and schedule/facilitate meetings where appropriate
- Ability to develop and interact within projects across a wide variety of subject matters simultaneously
- Support the technical design process by participating in analysis of technical requirements.
- Other duties as required and assigned
Education & Experience
- Either bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, graduation from a software development school or equivalent experience required.
- Strong SQL query, PL/SQL, stored procedure, SSMS or equivalent knowledge required.
- Experience with database reporting software like Telerik Reports or equivalent preferred.
- Experience with version control system required, GIT/Azure DevOps preferred.
- Experience with Selenium/Appian or other QA toolkits preferred.
- Experience creating Visual Studio unit tests preferred.
- Experience with Agile / Scrum methodologies required.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently or as part of a team.
- Well versed in all aspects of the SLDC.
- Knowledge of desktop and/or web application development environments required.
- Excellent communication, technical, analytical, and project management skills required.
- Laboratory or healthcare exposure preferred.
- Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) required.
Aegis Sciences Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer