ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Deschutes County Road Department is responsible for the development, operation, and maintenance of the County road system, consisting of approximately 900 miles of roadway. Our Mission: We strive to maintain the quality and improve the experience for all users of the Deschutes County transportation system.
ABOUT THE COUNTY:
We know where you choose to live, work and play matters. Deschutes County is one of the largest employers in Central Oregon and the largest municipal government in the region. Our dedicated and passionate workforce of more than 1,100 employees provide County services in a number of departments, divisions, and offices.
Located in the heart of Central Oregon, between the towering Cascade Mountain Range to the west and the high desert plateau to the east, Deschutes County is the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon. We enjoy a renowned quality of life, with big-city opportunities and small-town neighborhoods.
We hope you'll consider joining our talented team.
ABOUT THE JOB:
This position performs a variety of road maintenance activities ranging from manual labor tasks, traffic control, and operation of light to heavy automotive, road maintenance, and construction equipment. The Public Works Equipment Operator will operate a variety of medium to large sized trucks, tractors, trailers, and equipment involving the manipulation of auxiliary controls as well as perform a wide variety of manual tasks associated with departmental operations and maintenance.
- Care, maintenance, and safe operation of hand operated power tools including chainsaws and jackhammers.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Perform the essential duties of the job.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others at all times.
Knowledge of or experience with:
- Providing customer service.
- Maintaining records.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Safe driving practices.
Notification to all candidates will be sent via email and/or text only. Please opt in for text messaging or check your email and your Governmentjobs.com account for application status.
Review the full job description by clicking HERE.$3,923.67 to $5,007.78 per month for a 172.67 hour work month. Excellent County benefit package when eligible. This union-represented position is available immediately.
Our robust health plan is offered at a minimal cost of $90 per month, which includes an innovative on-site clinic, pharmacy, and wellness and wellbeing services. Additionally, we include life insurance, retirement (PERS), generous paid time-off (14-18 hours/month to start, pro-rated for part-time), holidays, and professional development opportunities.
Please click HEREfor full benefit details.
- Must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a combination of experience and training that will demonstrate the required knowledge and abilities to perform unskilled or semi-skilled tasks,
- AND operate equipment and tools at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License.
Must have the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver's License within 12 months of hire date.
Ability to drive all County equipment and vehicles on roads. Must be able to drive and travel with equipment within city, county and public roadways, sometimes in adverse weather conditions.
Must have sufficient ambulatory ability to perform the following:
- Balancing, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, twisting, bending, stooping, flexing, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Operating and driving equipment on even and uneven surfaces, inside and outside, and manipulating auxiliary controls.
- Getting in and out of trucks and heavy equipment, and walking on uneven terrain
- Manipulate hand tools, rakes, hammers, commercial brooms, stakes, hoses, chains and other objects.
- For medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly, to move objects.
- For heavy work: exerting from 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and up to 25 pounds of force constantly, to move objects.