Design and Construction at The University of Tampa has an opening for a Project Manager. Under the leadership of the Director of Design and Construction, this position manages capital projects and assists in the management of capital planning. Projects may include large multi-year as well as small projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct interaction with senior leadership to define project scope and implementation success.
• Create and administer all design and construction contracts and act as Owners Representative as defined by AIA standard contracts.
• Be a trusted advisor to the University, acting as the eyes and ears of the project, and demonstrating the ability to think ahead and anticipate the Universities needs to complete projects on time and on budget.
• Ensure project is not over designed and be able to control scope and get the most out of the budget.
• Review and approve contractor and subcontractor bid lists. This includes drafting requests for proposals, evaluating proposals, and presenting summaries and recommendations to senior leadership for award of design and construction contracts on campus.
• Ensure that all relevant parties have a clear vision of project objectives.
• Clearly document and distribute all relevant items for the team. This includes but not limited to project meeting minutes, scope of design, project schedule summary, and coordination with various departments and facilities.
• Regularly monitor project against budget and flags team when project/timeline/budget deviate.
• Ensure that all relevant changes in scope items result in revised documents and an updated approval from the University.
• Identify and prioritize risks and manage issues.
• Regularly monitor client satisfaction levels, consider feedback carefully, and coordinate appropriate action to ensure client feels heard, supported, and reassured that the project is on track.
• Escalate concerns to senior management as needed.
• Develop and maintain design and construction standards on campus. The intent is to create a document that will help future employees of this department be successful.
• Capital planning to determine the needs of the campus on a yearly basis.
• Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field and 5 to 7 years' relevant experience, or equivalent combination of the education and experience.
2. Experience as owner's representative within a large, complex organization.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of, and significant experience with, construction procurement and delivery.
4. The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
5. Able to multitask and work independently.
6. Knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly The University of Tampa software programs such as Workday and Microsoft Office.
7. Willingness to embrace new technologies and innovative organizational practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Comprehensive knowledge of, and significant experience with, all phases of planning and design.
2. Strong organization, interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
3. Demonstrated commitment to accessibility and inclusion. Knowledge of accessibility issues and planning mechanisms specific to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Universal Design Principles.
4. Demonstrated patience, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure as well as a strong personal ethics commitment. Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to work collaboratively and build trusted relationships with diverse internal and external constituencies.
5. Extensive leadership and team-building skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal supervision, while also exhibiting consistent professional judgement, excellent organizational, and delegation skills.
6. Maintain confidentiality as required in all areas of the position.
7. Champion of a responsive staff that embraces a culture of continuous improvement, self-assessment, and accountability.
8. Must have strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills to manage complex tasks and/or those that require the balance of competing interests.
1. Additional degree or advanced certification in engineering, building construction, architecture, interior design, business, management, public administration, or a related field.
2. Relevant professional credential or registration.
Please be sure to attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box at the bottom of the "My Experience" page of the application before continuing through the application.
1. Cover letter
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Summer: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
The University of Tampa offers great benefits to include:
- FREE Tuition
- Generous paid leave
- Wellness initiatives
- 100% Employer-Funded Health Reimbursement Account
- 100% Employer-Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- 100% Employer-Funded Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted On-Campus Dining Meal Plans
- FREE On-Campus Parking
- FREE Access to Campus Amenities (pool, library, campus events and more)
- Fitness Center
- Pet Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- And more!
To receive full consideration for employment with The University of Tampa, please be sure to submit/upload required documents for this position at time of application submission. Required documents should be submitted in the attachment box at the bottom of the "My Experience" page of the application before continuing through the application.
Background Check Requirements
Finalists may be required to submit to a criminal background check. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle report and/or a credit report.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not to determine specific duties and responsibilities for any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific task assigned to the position.