Pharmacy Technician - Inpatient job in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Civilian position at Walter Reed
- Veterans and Military Spouses Encouraged to Apply
- Paid holidays
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Sick Time
- Company-funded match and safe harbor 401(k)
- Medical, Dental and vision plans available
- Life insurance and accidental death plans available
- Short-term and long-term disability plans available
- TRICARE Supplemental available
- Supplemental Benefit plans available
- Referral bonuses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Pet Insurance Plans available
- College Tuition Benefit Program available
- Will Preparation Services available
Pharmacy Technician - Job Overview:
- Prepares, packages, Compounds and labels pharmaceutical products, processes physician medication orders, prescriptions and bulk drug Orders, evaluates physician orders for duplication(s), usual dose(s), and formulary status; provides for initial clinical screen.
- Maintains automated and manual records in accordance with Pharmacy Service SOP.
- Enters and retrieves patient specific information and reports from pharmacy-oriented mainframe computer systems.
- Assists with drug utilization review studies as mandated by JCAH.
- Prepares sterile products for critically ill patients in intensive care units.
- Prepares specialized, "complex" parenteral medications for use in open heart surgery (cardioplegia and coronary artery bypass solutions), pancreas preservation solution, dialysis, transplant surgery, and neonatal dextrose and electrolyte solutions.
- Prepares medications for and maintains records on investigational drug protocols in support of the research mission.
- Reviews physician TPN orders for proper final microdiluent concentrations.
- Prepares TPN formula cards from physician orders.
- Programs microprocessor-driven total parental nutrition (TPN) compounding equipment.
- Programs and maintains automated fluid transfer pumps.
- Provides instruction to other pharmacy technicians concerning proper preparation of sterile products.
- Evaluates newly assigned personnel for technical proficiency in preparation of sterile products.
- Provides comprehensive drug information regarding the
- Interpret physicians' order and perform necessary steps to input, fill and dispense prescriptions within the parameters established by the Pharmacy Policy and Procedures Manual.
- Review and prepare orders for intravenous additive solutions, utilizing sterile technique and in accordance with infection control procedures.
- Assemble drugs and supplies for distribution to the Primary Care Center (PCC).
- Answer routine questions concerning proper administration and use of medications, drug interactions and incompatibilities, availability of drugs, and unit of use. Convey necessary information to the hospital staff and/or patients to ensure correct use.
- Maintain adequate levels of working stock, ensuring that all supplies are properly stored, and advise supply personnel of any shortages of medications or supplies.
- Check drug supplies to ensure that medications are in date and properly maintained.
- Maintain the required records and accountability documents reflecting the issuance and receipt of narcotic and controlled substances.
- Implement all departmental policies and procedures and participate in quality assurance activities.
- Assist pharmacists in providing guidance and training for pharmacy technician's students and inexperienced technicians.
- Maintain satisfactory conditions of cleanliness throughout the Pharmacy Department.
Pharmacy Technician Job Qualifications:
- PTCB certification
- Basic Life Support (BLS) AHA or ARC
- 2 years experience as a Pharmacy Technician
- Graduate of a Pharmacy Technician program accredited by ASHP or have successfully completed a formal pharmacy technician training program
- Shall be knowledgeable of equipment and supply terminology and skill sufficient to identify and use necessary equipment and supplies properly and to communicate proper use with nurses, medical staff, patients, and family members.
- Be physically capable of standing for extended periods of time.
- Knowledgeable and possess skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients.
- Knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry and automated medical records.
Come join our team of healthcare professionals!
FSR employs healthcare professionals at government medical facilities providing care to military service members, retirees, and their families. Since 2004, FSR has built mutually beneficial, sustainable partnerships with healthcare professionals and our clients nationwide.
FSR is an award winning organization built with committed professionals with a unified vision of helping others. We are honored to be named one of the Baltimore Sun's Top Workplaces!
Federal Staffing Resources dba FSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran/military spouse
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.