Renowned as the academic flagship of the University of Maryland Medical System, our Magnet®-designated facility is a nationally recognized, academic medical center with opportunities across the continuum of care. Come join UMMC and discover the atmosphere where talents and ideas come together to enhance patient care and advance the science of nursing. Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won't find a more vibrant place to work!
Under general supervision, performs as a senior technician and installs, operates, monitors and evaluates a large End User Computing communications network. Performs complex maintenance tasks, troubleshoots and repairs computer systems and peripheral equipment located throughout the organization. Maintains a spare parts inventory of systems, subsystems, and component parts used in repair work. Prepares and updates progress reports for Supervisor.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provides technical expertise to PC Maintenance Techs assuring prompt effective response to customer needs. Documents work orders completed each day. Provides a timely response to all service requests. Provides first level problem analysis. Masters base knowledge of assigned applications, hardware and network to support clinical and business environments. Resolves or escalates service requests when necessary. Independently performs technical downloads and PC configurations. Assists with daily problem and change management ticket review to insure ticket accuracy.
- Uses Helpdesk Call Tracking application to log all service and update requests accurately and well detailed. Collects data from customers to aid problem determination / resolution of request. Provides information to the Helpdesk for on-going follow up to customers until resolution of issue.
- Assists customers to identify and specify the nature of basic to complex requests or problems. Troubleshoots issues and assists customers with various systems issues including Microsoft, Novell, PC/Laptop/Mobile, printer, software, hardware, and network connectivity issues. Provides follow up support to customers. Primary trainer of PC Maintenance Technicians.
- Provides direct assistance to IT Tiered support teams for complex escalated issues. Participates in special projects as assigned; Participates in testing for system upgrades.
- Maintains an inventory of parts used and needed to re-order, including testing parts received for stock to ensure an effective level of service. Maintains inventory for all equipment installed and performs documentation of all system configurations in a database. Coordinates purchases of technical equipment.
- Coordinates activities, times, schedules, with suppliers and contractors in regard to the installation, operation, maintenance and evaluation of user locations for data equipment ensuring problems are addressed appropriately and timely with UMMS standards and procedures.
- Reviews real-time trending information, and contacts Tiered support, when necessary. Maintains regular contact with users and supervisor/manager regarding status of open or pending service calls.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Maintenance, Telecommunications, Certified Netware Engineer or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Five years experience with desk top equipment, performing installations, configurations, trouble shooting, and evaluations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven Customer Service Skills. Knowledge and understanding of how technology can be applied to provide system support. Knowledge of PCs, terminals, and printer hardware and software configurations, Microsoft Networking, Novell Networking, cabling infrastructures. Knowledge of electronic repair, troubleshooting techniques and test equipment. Demonstrated knowledge of electronic installations is required.
- Broad Knowledge of PC hardware and peripherals associated with applications.
- Ability to provide general leadership role, to be a liaison between escalated support and the EUC team.
- Excellent communication and organization skills; demonstrates confidence, creativity, and maturity.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to perform daily work activities of the position assuring prompt and effective response to customer needs.
- Proficient in analysis and problem solving, ability to work with other teams and ability to assess customer needs and determine appropriate solutions.
- Ability to understand and adhere to systems security and control procedures in accordance with departmental, vendor standards and regulatory bodies.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Videos To Watch