MHS is a non-profit organization whose mission is to improve people's lives and instill hope by providing cost-effective community-based mental health, drug and alcohol recovery, and housing services. We continually seek new and improved ways of serving our clients and communities. MHS is an essential position.
The Mental Health Clinician provides outpatient mental health counseling and case management to identified clients with substance abuse and mental health disorders. The Mental Health Clinician promotes higher levels of wellness, stability, and quality of life, assists in the prevention of acute psychiatric episodes or substance abuse relapses, and assists the client to lessen the debilitating effects of substance abuse and mental disorders. The Mental Health Clinician interacts with clients on a day-to-day basis providing individual and group counseling, as well as engaging in therapeutic and psychosocial activities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Maintains a caseload as prescribed by the Program Manager, providing a variety of services including group and individual counseling, rehabilitation/skills building, relapse prevention, and crisis intervention.
- Performs mental health screenings and assessments.
- Reviews staff charting for completeness and compliance with agency, federal, state, and local government standards of care on referrals, intakes, assessments, interventions, progress notes, community treatment coordination and discharges.
- Co-facilitates treatment groups for clients with co-occurring disorders.
- Initiates appropriate and timely interventions, provides resources on medication management issues and symptom management, and refers clients out for more intensive mental health services as needed.
- Interacts therapeutically with clients and demonstrates appropriate boundaries consistent with professional standards.
- Completes all charting and documentation as contractually required and in timely manner as dictated by program requirements.
- Serves in a mentoring role, facilitating discussion in treatment meetings and other venues, and providing support to alcohol and drug counselors on client mental health issues.
- Comply with all MHS and program rules, policies and procedures including HIPAA standards.
- Master's Degree in Social Work or related field, required
- License eligible in California as an AMFT, ASW or APCC; licensed LMFT or LCSW preferred.
- CPR / First Aid certified
- Extensive knowledge of individual, group, family, and cognitive therapy techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and EHR software
- Ability to set priorities, problem solve, and react appropriately to emergency situations
- Ability to work independently and effectively collaborate with a team
- Must be adept at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and solve problems in a timely manner
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both in writing and orally, with employees, management, and co-workers
- Highly organized, thorough, and able to self-monitor work for quality
- Must be dependable, able to follow instructions, timely respond to management, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
☐ Working in cramped spaces
☒ Moving around office
☒ Moving between offices/clients
☒ Lifting/carrying heavy items
☐ Pushing/pulling/dragging items
☒ Standing for long periods
☐ Working outside/underground
☒ Using hands/fingers
☒ Sitting for long periods of time
I can perform the above job duties:
☐ Without accommodation ☐ With accommodation. If so, please specify:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MHS is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and to attracting and retaining the most qualified employees without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability or protected veteran status.