Porchlight strives to address homelessness in Dane County by providing shelter, housing, supportive services, and a sense of community in ways that empower residents and program participants to positively shape their lives.
This mission to serve those struggling with homelessness can only be accomplished through the generous support of community members and the endless dedication of our staff and volunteers.
Visit https://porchlightinc.isolvedhire.com/ to apply online.
Title: HR Support Intern
Department: Human Resources
Primary Location: 306 N Brooks St, Madison
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Employment Status: Part-time, temporary
Hours: 12-18 hours per week
Regular Schedule: Some flexibility in scheduling, but hours will be scheduled between 8 am - 4 pm
Pay Range: $17/hour
Benefits Available: None
Screening Requirements: CCAP background check
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY FUNCTION: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Human Resources, this internship will complete a specific HR project (the creation of digital files) as well as benefit, onboarding, and recruitment paperwork.
• Work onsite 1x per week from 9 am - 4 pm with some virtual work possible.
• Scan existing paper employee records.
• Return paper files to in an organized manner.
• Extract scanned files and name scanned documents accordingly.
• Help create and maintain naming conventions.
• Works with new employees to complete onboarding paperwork as well as help better define a smooth and simple process internally.
• Creates job postings and tracks incoming applicants, schedules zoom interviews, keeps accurate hiring records, and helps better define a smooth and simple process internally.
• Other HR administrative duties as assigned.
Teamwork & Collaboration
• Work in collaboration with program and all other agency staff to facilitate a team environment.
• Demonstrate and model effective communication skills in building relationships with all guests and employees.
• Create good working relationships with other service providers.
• Participate in the development and implementation of Porchlight's strategic plan.
Essential Duties of Porchlight Values and Culture:
• Treats all clients, employees, and visitors with caring, kindness, respect, and dignity.
• Helps to create an environment that values and appreciates diversity.
• Adheres to all Porchlight policies, procedures, code of conduct, and attendance rules.
• Maintains strict confidentiality of all information.
• Adheres to Porchlight policies in the use of computer technology and tele-communications devices.
• Conducts self within appropriate and expected professional boundaries and policies.
• Works with clients to eliminate barriers to shelter use.
• A student pursuing a degree in human resources administration (required).
• Strong computer skills, including demonstrated experience with the Microsoft, Google and Adobe Suite.
• An understanding of office equipment, such as a scanner and printer.
• Experience working with file systems, preferably in an office setting.
• Reliable transportation to arrive to work on time.
• Written communication to name and organize files, complete timesheets, and communicate with supervisor.
• Sincere respect for disadvantaged individuals.
• Team orientation with respect for others.
• High ethical standards.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The following physical demands are representative of those required by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be available to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Indoor environment: tenant units, open office, shelter dormitories, facilities, etc.
• Outdoor environment: parking lot, grounds, on-site trailer, etc.
• Exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, loud noises, fumes, airborne particles,
toxic/caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration
• Standing, kneeling, walking
• Bending, stooping
• Reaching, pushing, pulling
• Climbing stairs
• Lifting, carrying up to 25 pounds
• Repetitive, fine hand, finger, and foot movements
• Typing/data entry
• Operating various equipment
• Talking, hearing, interacting with coworkers, vendors, participants
• Using office machines - phone, fax, computers, postage meter, etc.
• Close vision
• Distance vision, field of vision, color/depth perception
• Seeing, hearing, speaking.
• Ability to perform the physical demands listed above.
• Reading, writing.
• Basic English comprehension, written and oral communication.
• Ability to lift 25 pounds
• HR degree-seeking student currently enrolled in HR program.
• Ability to work onsite at least one day per week.
EEO STATEMENT: It is our policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant because of
race, religion, marital status, age, color, sex, disability/handicap, national origin or ancestry,
income level or source of income, arrest record or conviction record, less than honorable
discharge, gender identity, physical appearance, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or student
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, hours, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the employer.