WSP is currently initiating a search for a full-time Geotechnical Engineering Director for our Detroit, Michigan office. Be involved in projects with our our Geotechnical and Tunneling Technical Excellence Center and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities, expand our skylines and tunnel beneath the earth. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
The successful candidate will be involved in infrastructure projects in the Central region as well as projects across US. The position requires an effective team player who can work cooperatively to provide engineering services to its clients on design and construction projects.Your Impact
- Serve as geotechnical engineering director for subsurface exploration programs, design of foundations, retaining walls, and other geotechnical projects in Detroit, and other infrastructure
- (highway/railroad, water/wastewater, etc.) and building projects throughout Michigan and surrounding states.
- Help lead the growth, innovation, and project delivery related to underground construction projects and client success for WSP’s Geotechnical and Tunneling Technical Excellence Center.
- Lead geotechnical engineering projects, including execution of design-build and design-bid-build projects with a multi-disciplinary team from across the country.
- Lead business development, proposals, and client interviews; represent WSP at conferences/workshops as a technical lead.
- Mentor geotechnical engineering staff and assist with technical challenges.
- Develop new client relationships and enhance existing ones, including winning new work.
- Collaborate with regional, district, and local office leaders to strategically drive the business, manage project performance, oversee overhead expenditures, and meet operational metrics.
- Assist WSP in attracting the best industry talent by fostering a work environment that is collaborative, values inclusion and diversity and invites broad, creative thinking including crafting a more attractive place to work, to help the business grow and thrive.
- Develop plans, specifications, memoranda, special provisions, contract documents, and cost estimates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Geological, Environmental, or Geotechnical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum of 12 years of demonstrated experience related to geotechnical engineering, including business development, analysis and design
- Experience interpreting geotechnical data reports and providing geotechnical interpretive reports and/or geotechnical baseline reports
- Ability to read, understand, and develop plans and specifications
- Extensive working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and materials
- Previous experience related to presentation of technical topics to clients
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking capabilities, and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to manage complex budgets and schedules
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies
- Registered engineer in Michigan or another U.S. State.
- Candidate must be able to legally work in the US on a full time permanent basis
- Master of Science degree in Civil, Geological, Environmental, or Geotechnical Engineering from an ABET accredited university.