Performs executive management work in assisting in the direction of the County's Economic Development Department. Assists the Director of Economic Development with managing the administration and financial functions of the department. Involves budget development, administration, and lead project management of EDD programs. Serves as interagency liaison, and assists to plan, organize, and direct the operation of Commercial Development, Business Services and Economic Development Marketing.
- Supervises day to day Department operations, including interacting with, supervising, and supporting staff as needed
- Works under the direction of the Department Director to facilitate the day-to-day management of the department; oversees and provides technical and project management for all activities and programs of the department. Acts on behalf of the Director in his absences and has the authority to make decisions for the department; provides guidance, recommendations, and advice to Director as needed.
- Assists the Director in Strategic Leadership. Is project lead for development of the Department's Economic Development Strategic Plan.
- Assists the Director with management of department's positions and personnel to make best use of employees; assists in the recruitment of employees and assists in onboard training to help develop staff capabilities; handles human resource matters in accordance with agency policy and procedures.
- Assists in the development of the annual departmental budget and helps Director monitor and manage daily fiscal management responsibilities.
- Performs duties of Director of Economic Development in the absence of the Director or as assigned and determined by the Director of Economic Development.
- Oversees Departmental key initiatives including the comprehensive economic development strategy, business retention and expansion programs, business attraction programs, and other projects. Analyzes reports, correspondence, contracts, and other relevant documents.
- In coordination with Director, assists in managing the department's marketing program, directing the marketing coordinator and marketing-related vendors to establish messaging and outreach strategies to communicate the county's competitive position for business attraction and retention.
- Manages the department's research function, directing the economic research specialist and related vendors to acquire, analyze, and present data relevant to the department's and county's economic development mission.
- In coordination with Director, assists in managing the military affairs of the department which includes active memberships on committees, working with related lobbyists and consultants on military matters, and developing strategies and recommendations for supporting the County's military installations and tenants as it relates to their economic impact on the community.
- Serves as a liaison to local and state economic development stakeholders and groups such as the Chamber of Commerce and similar business support organizations, developing mutually beneficial relationships and ensuring open, ongoing and transparent communication.
- Assists the Director in overseeing and managing all media inquiries to the department.
- Is lead project manager for overseeing the execution of Commissioners goals and objectives for the department.
- In coordination with the Director, assists with annual preparation of Economic Development portion of County Bond Rating Presentation and Department's Annual Economic Development Report. Determines work plans, methods, and procedures, and guiding divisional activities to achieve required goals and objectives.
- Participates in regional economic development events and activities such as Southern Maryland Economic Development Association, Maryland Economic Development Association, Workforce Development Board, Military Alliance Council, Regional Innovation Collaborative, etc.
- Attends conferences and training, keeping up with news that affects local and regional economic development, reading up on professional trends and best practices, etc.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in related field. Seven (7) years of experience in an economic development organization with at least two years at the management level; or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Licenses or Certifications:
Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) and related training toward CEcD certification are preferred.
Must possess a valid driver's license.
Subject to work beyond the normal scheduled hours of work to include frequent evening meetings.
Some travel outside of the area for meetings or conferences may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of economic development principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of Charles County Government policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of department operations and services and of administrative management, and the ability to interpret same to staff and the public.
- Knowledge of governmental fiscal policies, procedures, and legal mandates including the budget process.
- Knowledge of marketing techniques and strategies, digital and traditional media, current marketing trends, and general public relations best practices.
- Knowledge of modern research and investigative techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of laws, statutes, and ordinances of the State of Maryland and Charles County.
- Knowledge of military/community relationships.
- Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet and database information retrieval.
- Ability to keep the Department Director and all relevant parties informed of all major issues and programs and to recommend changes as appropriate.
- Ability to act as a representative of Charles County Government in the absence of the Director, to the public.
- Ability to supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of diverse staff in order to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, polished, and professional manner with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to make public presentations using multi-media as appropriate, often presenting to large audiences.
- Ability to review, evaluate, and initiate appropriate action on reports, contracts, and documents concerning departmental matters.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, associates, subordinates, representatives from other agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and a variety of business and economic development related applications and software.
- Ability to maintain strict information confidentiality.
The work is primarily in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for longer periods, lift, and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards; and requires the ability to speak normally and use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Principal duties of this job are performed in a general office environment.
Department: Economic Development
Pay Grade: 122
FLSA Status: Exempt
Telework Eligible: Yes
Reports To: Director of Economic Development
Supervises: Economic Research Specialist, Marketing CoordinatorEmployment Type: Full-time