Edgewater Federal Solutions is currently seeking a Data Center Techncian III to be responsible for the installation of various types of Information Technology (IT) hardware devices and cabling in a data center environment, analysis related to the design, development, and implementation of hardware for products, and conducting of stress and performance testing. This position requires knowledge of data center hardware and systems to include the ability to interpret the manufacturer's guides for installation into data center racks, the understanding of space, power, and cooling requirements, as well as mounting hardware specifications.
- Evaluate Data Center infrastructure requirements (rack space, network, power, cabling, etc.) and coordinating necessary resources to prepare space for the installation of equipment.
- Coordinate necessary facilities resources such as electric and cooling for specialized equipment such as high voltage storage area networks and large servers requiring redundant power.
- Provision the cabling, floor cut outs, and rack rails and mounting hardware for the installation of IT devices and systems such as servers, switches, routers, power cables, fiber and copper cables, power distribution units, and keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM) components.
- Perform end to end installation of patch cables both fiber and copper as well as management cabling and cross connect cabling.
- Perform troubleshooting assistance such as rebooting, visual check of system indicator lights, and perform the replacement of suspected failed installation components (fiber, cables, connectors, iDRAC, power distribution units) in conjunction with the systems engineers to enable the system to return to an operational state.
- Provide analysis related to the design, development, and implementation of hardware for product.
- Perform stress and performance tests on a variety of computer hardware including circuit boards, processors, and wiring.
- Develop, test, and monitor strategies for computer hardware devices and systems.
- Follow labeling standards and collect, track, and update all configuration changes and inventory information in an Excel spreadsheet, SharePoint, or data center information system.
- Adhere to all data center safety rules and policy as well as installation standards.
- Shall perform other duties as required such as un-crating and unboxing large numbers of system and pallets of gear and subsequent removal of refuse to keep the data center clear of all walkway hazards.
- Proficiency in ability to generate interpret wiring and cabling diagrams in Visio and CADD. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Project, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Monitors data center IT and environmental systems for failures and coordinates with vendors or repair technicians for repairs or replacements.
- Assist the FBI in developing, managing, sustaining, and using a tracking database and scanning gun for hardware inventory control, including IT and system equipment, warranty status, and maintenance agreement applications.
- Manage (i.e., stock, store, issue), control, document, sustain, and maintain expendable and non-expendable parts and tools and cable inventories of FBI and vendor equipment.
- The Candidate shall perform IT and system hardware maintenance and IT or system equipment replacement services in response to requested maintenance.
- Keep Data Center infrastructure and IT equipment in operating condition consistent with OEM requirements, performing corrective, adaptive, and preventative maintenance tasks as needed and/or scheduled.
- Continuously assess the effectiveness of the vendor/OEM hardware maintenance activities, to include recurring failure trends and excessive spares usage.
- The Candidate shall possess the ability to perform copper and fiber communications cable installations and terminations as well as utilize test equipment to certify the terminations are to manufacturer standards.
- The Candidate shall provide timely problem resolution.
- The Candidate shall be able to read schematics, populate multiple databases, and utilize MS Visio to document projects.
- The Candidate shall continually transition knowledge to the Government staff through training and assistance on how to use the technology using industry best practices. Author step by step solutions for Tiers 1 and Tiers 2 for frequently asked questions and problem resolution references.
- An associate degree or vocational degree in Information Technology Systems is preferred and minimum of 6 years of data center hardware and cable installation experience
- U.S. Citizenship is required per contract to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance with SCI-CI Poly.
- Active Top-Secret Clearance with SCI-CI Poly eligibility
- Possess knowledge of National Standards as pertaining to Data Center IT infrastructure including Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) Installer 2 for both Copper (INSTC) and Fiber (INSTF), TIA-606 cable labeling standard and TIA-942 requirements for data centers
- Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) A+ certification is required
Physical Demands of the Data Center Hardware Technician III position
The nature of the Hardware Engineer duties have physical demands such as pulling, cabling, lifting, kneeling, crawling, etc. As such, you shall:
- Required to lift IT equipment during installation and removal along with installing communications cabling under a raised floor structure.
- Able to lift to 50 pounds for short periods of time.
- Use cable termination equipment, test equipment, power tools (Sawzall, drill, crimping tools, etc.) for the tasks as required for the position.
- Use tools to include wrenches, screw drivers, and power tools.
- Operate manual forklifts and data center rack lifts as required for the tasks for the position.
- Wear safety gear (e.g., safety shoes, goggles, glasses, hearing protection) while performing tasks.
NOTE: The Candidate shall provide any worn necessary Occupational Safety and Hazard (OSHA) compliant safety equipment (e.g., safety shoes, goggles, glasses, hearing protection) for their personnel.
Edgewater Federal Solutions is a privately held government contracting firm located in Frederick, MD. The company was founded in 2002 with the vision of being highly recognized and admired for supporting customer missions through employee empowerment, exceptional services and timely delivery. Edgewater Federal Solutions is ISO 9001, 20000-1, 270001 certified, appraised at CMMI Level 3 Maturity for Development and Services, and has been named in the Top Workplaces in the Greater Washington Area Small Companies for 2018 through 2022.
It has been and continues to be the policy of Edgewater Federal Solutions to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, and/or other status protected by applicable law.