1. Provide the University steam and hot water through operation of the Central Utility Plant steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment.
2. Monitor and maintain Central Utility Plant steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
3. Provide the University chilled water through operation of the Central Utility Plant chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment.
4. Monitor and maintain chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
5. Operate the Cates Cogeneration Facility to produce electrical power and steam for Main campus.
This position will perform skilled mechanical and plumbing work, general maintenance and repair of steam boilers, chillers, cogeneration equipment and related equipment for each of the plants. This work involves troubleshooting and repairing boilers, chillers, fans, turbines, pumps and receivers, steam lines, expansion joints, air compressors, water softeners, and other equipment for generating and controlling steam, chilled water and electricity.
Additional duties include working with inspectors, contractors, and department liaisons as requested, and helping to train other employees. This skill set allows the position to work independently in the performing of diagnostics, maintenance and repairs to these systems.
- Hours are subject to change to meet the needs of the university.
- This position is subject to emergency call back.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment of safety glasses, safety shoes, and ear plugs.
- Additional safety equipment to include respirator, hardhat, and/or other gear related to the work site.
- Serves as a critical role employee and must work during periods when the university is closed.
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Knowledge of chiller tube cleaning, tower cleaning and boiler inspection and other auxiliary equipment. This includes use of hand tools and cleaning machines.
- Knowledge of or proficiency in repairing pumps including bearings, seals, alignments, vibration analysis.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 60 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- The ability to perform tasks associated with the assigned trade on a journey level.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisors and the general public and be able to understand instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- 5 years of experience in the maintenance and repair of boilers, chillers, cooling towers, steam pressure reducing valves, motors, pumps, air compressors, fans, and assist with maintaining a proper water treatment program.
- Be able to lead or assist with the repair and maintenance of plumbing or electrical related systems.
- Assist in the install of light fixtures, conduit, thermostats and other items on equipment. Pull wires of all sizes and voltage to equipment and power sources.
- Perform preventative maintenance on existing systems and equipment.
- Fork lift, aerial lift, and scissors lift operations experience.
- Valid Driver's License Required.
- North Carolina Driver's license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.