Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape a political world once only the domain of the rich, powerful, and connected. We are news you can do something about.
Community Content Moderators are community support staff with the primary responsibility of ensuring that community users’ participation on the site is in accord with the site’s Rules of the Road. Moderators are expected to have detailed knowledge of the Rules and expected to apply them judiciously in order to maintain a safe, secure, positive, and productive environment for site users. Secondary responsibilities include community support tasks at the Help Desk and tasks coordinated with other teams and departments within the organization as assigned.
We are seeking a smart and savvy Community Content Moderator to join our team. This position could require working weekends.
- Read stories and comments published on the site and identify problematic content
- Assess and discuss problematic content and apply corrective warnings and sanctions
- Remove and mark spam content
- Monitor and respond to moderation-related Help Desk tickets
- Address Help Desk tickets related to subscriptions, Action Network / Act Blue issues, and site-related issues (login, password, and basic feature / technical issues)
- Monitor organizational Slack channel discussions
- Perform tasks and monitor assigned Reports as enumerated in the Procedure manual
- Coordinate with the rest of the Community Team and Staff in support of their work
- 2+ years community moderation and engagement experience preferred
- Familiarity with Daily Kos (site, features, community)
- Familiarity with team collaboration platforms (Slack, Zoom), productivity applications (Google Docs, Google Calendar), internet search applications and tools, and spreadsheet and database tools
- Knowledge of the site’s Rules of the Road and the site’s unique form of community moderation or strong desire to learn
- Familiarity with user-end site features or strong desire to learn
- Discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality regarding moderation processes and outcomes; also confidentiality regarding any personally identifiable information observed during moderation and Help Desk duties
- Focused and productive working remotely in a virtual environment
- Demonstrated history of positive and productive interactions on the site
- Ability to work as part of a small team with a deliberative and creative approach to problem solving
- Capable of responding and acting independently as circumstances require
- Ability to confront content that may be personally offensive
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skill-set
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000
Daily Kos is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees.
The position offers:
- Competitive compensation
- Remote-first work environment
- Paid employee medical, dental and vision benefits
- Access to a Health Advocate
- 401K with a 5% company match
- 9 Company-paid holidays
- 6 weeks vacation
- Paid Sick Time
- Traumatic Grief Leave
- Paid parental/family/medical leave
- Remote Worker Stipend
- Professional Development Stipend
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Flex Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Company paid short & long term disability
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefit
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time, non-exempt position and reports to the Community Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. In addition, our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long-term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures helps us be more effective activists. We are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with backgrounds and talents energized by the news events and people united by a common cause. We love learning and support training for employees to continue career growth.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: No Soliciting. Daily Kos does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee.
Powered by JazzHR