For 130years,The Salvation Army of Dane County has offered spiritual ministry, social services, and youth programs to thousands of Dane County residents, without discrimination. We currently serve the most vulnerable members of our community through a wide range of programs, as well as extensive case management services. While we strive to provide compassionate care anda primary goal of all of our programs and services is to improve the life skills and circumstances of those we serve. If you want to help make a difference by serving your community and helping those in need, apply now!
The Community Center Program Assistant willprovide assistance in the Community Center with programs and after school activities.
About the role:
- Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. reading stories, listening to students reading, language, spelling, facilitating activities, motor perception programs, colors, number charts, checks homework, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts and reaching their academic goals and potential.
- Maintains classroom equipment, work area, students' files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, cleaning work area, taking attendance, checking homework, audio visual equipment, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items.
- Modifies classroom work/homework for providing a method to support classroom objectives. Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, gym, computer lab, etc.) for the purpose of enforcing school rules and procedures regarding student behavior and participation and/or providing a safe, respectful and positive multicultural learning environment
- Promotes good habits for the purpose of improving the quality of students outcome and encouraging student development
- Working under the supervision of the Education Coordinator, the Community Center Program Assistant will instruct and participate in a variety of physical activities aimed at engaging students in fun, recreational and life-long learning objectives. - Ensure a friendly and supportive atmosphere is maintained by developing appropriate strategies to support children in managing their behavior. - Ensure proper sign in/sign out procedures are followed.
- Assists Community Center Director in planning, organizing, developing, scheduling and evaluating recreation and athletic programs.
- May coordinate and supervise programs on weeknights, weekends, and holidays. - May open and close the operations of the recreation facility. - May perform emergency custodial maintenance work. Set up tables, sports equipment, chairs, and bleachers for classes and programs.
- Provide a safe, caring and fun environment for campers with different abilities during day camp activities. - Provide campers with the opportunities for adventure, discovery and learning while fostering environment for problem solving and independence. - Follow established procedures for teaching, and working with campers. - Attend all scheduled trainings and in-services and be present for all scheduled camp dates. - Promote and implement program policies and procedures amongst, participants, volunteers and staff.
Education:High school diploma or equivalent certificate (G.E.D.)
Experience:At least one year Child Development and education experience. Three years of experience is preferred.
Certifications:Valid driver's license with clearance by the Salvation Army's insurance carrier preferred. May operate motor vehicles in the execution of some essential functions if approved to drive.
Who we are:
Our Mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Our message is based on the Bible. Our ministry is motivated by the love of God. Our mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human need in His name without discrimination.
Why work for us?
The Salvation Army's brand promises to Do theMost Good® - and it's our employees that help us get there. At every level, you can have a real impact on your community through the work done inside our walls every day.
We are as impassioned about our employees as we are about our mission to help anyone in need without discrimination. Our culture reflects this quality, which makes our offices a seriously great place to work. Just walk inside our doors and you'll quickly see that our employees are proud to support programs that make a difference.
The Salvation Army recognizes that peace of mind is important to employees and their families. Because of this, we offer :
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible schedules and a casual dress environment
- Generous paid time off benefits (vacation, sick time, personal time, and 11 paid holidays)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program, providing 24/7 support, resources, and referrals to help you in your work and personal life
- Insurance benefits: excellent health, dental, vision, life, disability
- Discounts available for pet insurance, auto insurance, and home insurance
Full-time employees scheduled to work 30 or more hours per week will be eligible for full benefits, including health, dental, vision and hearing benefits, basic and voluntary life benefits, holiday pay and paid time off, which is pro-rated based on their regularly scheduled work week.
Non-Exempt Employees: Health, dental, vision, and hearing benefits, as well as basic and voluntary life benefits, will begin on the first day of the month following 90 days of employment. If the completion of a 90-day waiting period occurs on the first day of the calendar month, coverage will begin on that day.