Department of Human Services
$3,265 - $4,913
Blingual English/Spanish Preferred - Benefit & Eligibility Worker (Human Services Specialist 3)
We want you to join our Salem team!
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively working to build an equitable agency with the Equity North Star as our guide toward our vision of an agency free of racism, discrimination and bias. We believe that teams in which everyone can show up as their full authentic self are key to creating a thriving workforce that can better serve communities. We welcome members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQIA2S+ community members, and others to apply.
Do you have bilingual language skills in English and Spanish? Bilingual differential pay is provided to positions that require to use a language other than English to fulfill their job duties within their position. There is a need in the communities that we serve and bilingual language skills in English and Spanish will be given preference.
Do you want the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of Oregonians in need of resources to achieve wellbeing? Do you want to be part of a diverse workforce that collaborates and learns from each other to improve services that support children, families, and communities? If you want a career that makes a difference in the lives of more than 1 million Oregonians, we invite you to apply today!
We are seeking a Benefit & Eligibility Worker to join our Salem Self Sufficiency team.
Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS), A place to belong and make a difference!
- When you join the ODHS, you join a community of over 10,000 employees dedicated to serving and helping Oregonians achieve wellbeing and independence through opportunities that protect, empower, respect choice, and preserve dignity.
- Connect with ODHS Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and find a place to belong, build community and participate in shared learning. ERGs are employee-driven committees that support each other as well as the ODHS' overall mission and vision.
- We are committed to building an antiracist and equitable agency. Equity is foundational to our role as a human services agency, and we are committed to integrating equity into all we do. The Equity North Star has four points that explain the agency's goals related to equity, inclusion, and racial justice.
- We know that life is unpredictable and ODHS cares about keeping you well. Enjoy a work-life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, and competitive benefits packages including health, dental, vision and much more!
- If you have federal student loan debt or are thinking of going back to school, then you might benefit from the Student Loan Forgiveness Program. If you make 120 qualifying payments on your student loan while working full-time for a qualifying employer, your student loan debt may be forgiven.
What you need to qualify
- Two years of experience determining eligibility for an agency program by interviewing to assess the needs of clients, and interpreting and applying the policies, rules, and guidelines that are applicable to the client's situation.
- Any college courses may be substituted for the two years of general experience on a year-for-year basis (45 quarter hours is equivalent to one year of experience.) A photocopy of your transcripts must be attached to your application materials if using college courses to meet the minimum qualifications.
A complete (long version) resume or application with job duties for each role listed is the best way to show that you meet the minimum requirements or possess transferrable skills for this position. Your application or resume will also be used in determining what pay salary step you fall in with the pay equity assessment if you are the successful candidate.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Experience interviewing customers in person & by phone to obtain information to determine eligibility.
- Experience writing notices, reports, and narrations of eligibility determinations.
- Ability to work well and thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to complete tasks, duties, projects, and obligations with deadlines, that produce high-quality results. Experience prioritizing a high-volume workload.
- Ability to professionally interact with a high volume of diverse customers communicating decisions in person and over the phone regarding the approval or denial of benefits or services that exceeds the customers' expectations.
- Experience daily with confidential and sensitive information.
- Possess technical skills that include basic computer and search engine knowledge, ability to communicate verbal and in written communications, such as email, texts, reports, etc.
Please be sure to clearly describe how you meet these attributes within your application materials. These attributes will be used to determine which candidates will be selected to move forward in the process. Make sure to read the 'How to Apply' section for any other requirements.
Your duties at a glance
The Self Sufficiency Offices help with food benefits (SNAP), cash for families (TANF), childcare assistance (ERDC), medical, refugee services, and domestic violence services.
Self-Sufficiency Programs Mission:
To provide a safety net, family stability and a connection to careers that guide Oregonians out of poverty.
As a Benefit & Eligibility Worker, you will:
- Determines initial eligibility for Medicaid, APD Financial Eligibility, TANF, Domestic Violence services, SNAP, Medical and Employment Related Day Care applicants.
- Interview applicants by phone, by email to gather information needed to assess and determine if there is a need for services and benefits.
- Assessing client family strengths and needs, connecting families to other resources and programs.
- You will update narrative report summarizing new information from client and collateral sources, findings of home visit, and conclusions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work can require travel, including overnight.
- Limited physical exertion.
- May require sitting at a terminal or telephone for prolonged periods of the workday.
- May require a valid driver's license or other acceptable method of transportation.
- May interact with clients who are under emotional or financial stress.
- While this position is not remote, teleworking may be approved.
How to apply
Your work history profile, cover letter, and resume are the perfect opportunity to highlight your interest in the position and showcase your skills and experience that make you the best candidate for the position.
- Please upload a resume or complete the Workday history profile. Note: Your resume and cover letter may be uploaded in the Resume/CV field on the online application.
- A cover letter is not required for this application. However, you may attach one if you wish. This may help the manager understand better how you possess the essential attributes.
- Current State of Oregon employees: Apply via your employee Workday account. Ensure that your Workday is updated and includes your work and education history.
- If you are not a current State of Oregon employee: view this application instructional video.
- After you submit your application, you will have additional tasks to complete in Workday. Please continue to check your Workday account throughout the recruitment process.
- Finalists for this position will be subject to a computerized criminal history and abuse check. Adverse background information will be reviewed and could result in withdrawal of a conditional job offer or termination of employment.
- May require a valid driver's license or other acceptable method of transportation.
- The Oregon Department of Human Services does not offer visa sponsorship. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. ODHS will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
- This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
- Have questions about Workday, and want some tips on understanding the state application process? Check out our Oregon job opportunities page.
- If you need an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), have questions or need assistance with the application process, please contact Brent Lawrence via email email@example.com
- Please be sure to include the job requisition number.
Come for a job. | Stay for a career. | Make a difference... for a lifetime!