Hiring Specifications: Education
- High school diploma or equivalency
- NCLB compliance - 60 college credit hours, associate's degree, generalist or specialist para educator license issued by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners OR successful completion of the district-approved competency test
- NCLB compliance - see above
- Current Mandt or CPI certification preferred
- Experience working with applicable age students who have behavior challenges
- Experience working with students with special needs
- De-escalation experience
- Successful experience working in an intervention setting as well as the classroom
- Knowledge of, and ability to implement, de-escalation techniques
- Knowledge of, and ability to implement, behavior management techniques
- Knowledge of intensive behavior intervention techniques
- Knowledge of child guidance principles and practices, especially as they relate to students with learning disabilities, development delays and autistic behavior
- Knowledge of basic subjects taught in district schools including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading, including punctuation and vocabulary and ability to assist with instructional and related activities in a learning environment
- Knowledge of safe practices in classroom and playground activities and health regulations
- Knowledge of basic instructional methods and techniques
- Ability to monitor and observe student behavior according to approved policies and procedures
- Knowledge of district policies, rules and regulations
- Basic recordkeeping skills
- Ability to develop rapport and interact effectively with students
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to handle emotionally charged situations
- Ability to interact and collaborate with staff, students and families in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively, cooperatively and respectfully with staff, parents and community members regardless of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic/national origin, religion, marital status, age, socio-economic status or disability
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet skills
- E-mail management skills
- Skill or the ability to learn the delivery and use of on-line learning programs as needed per school assignment
- All district staff, students and families
- Central Rivers AEA personnel
- Assists in providing instruction to behaviorally challenged individuals or small groups of students, reinforcing instruction as directed by the teacher.
- Administers one-to-one intensive behavior intervention to students.
- Actively participates in behavior intervention meetings and professional development.
- Collects data and records anecdotal student progress notes and maintains behavioral charting data.
- Monitors and assists students in prescribed learning activities.
- Monitors, observes and reports behavior of students according to approved procedures, including progress regarding student performance and behavior.
- Assists students and parents by providing proper examples, emotional support and general guidance as directed.
- Communicates with teachers regarding programs and materials to meet student needs.
- Follows health and safety practices and regulations.
- Assists students in developing self-help and self-advocacy skills as directed.
- Assists in implementing specialized student plans (IEP, BIP, 504, HIP), as needed.
- Supports Positive Behavior Intervention System (PBIS) initiatives.
- Directs student group activities as assigned.
- Provides assistance with de-escalating student behaviors and reintegration back into the classroom.
- Implements classroom management system as applicable (e.g. STAR-C Management System).
- Transports students as needed.
- Follows Board policies, district procedures and contractual obligations.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
K. Manual Dexterity Tasks
L. Working Conditions
Extremes in temp/humidity
X Additional Physical Requirements:
- Ability to provide physical care for assigned student(s)
- Ability to perform physical restraint as needed following correct procedures
- Successful completion of post-offer drug screening and physical as well as background check