Senior Backup & Storage Engineer
Location: Kansas City Missouri
We are seeking a Senior Backup and Storage Engineer to:
- Support US Marine Corps (USMC) enterprise-level hybrid cloud data center and deliver reliable, secure, effective storage, backup and archiving capabilities
- Enable USMC world-wide customers to execute critical missions
What you will do:
As a Senior Backup and Storage Engineer you will support USMC customers world-wide to enable warfighter operations by providing critical backup, storage, archive and disaster recovery solutions for the USMC enterprise application hosting environment.
- Responsible for all Storage, Backup, Archive and Capacity activities across Classified, Unclassified, Staging environments on-prem and in hybrid-cloud environments including Azure, AWS and VMWare Cloud on AWS
- Engineering, troubleshooting, operating, maintaining On-Prem and cloud-integrated storage, backup, and tape-archiving systems
- Monitoring, triage, prioritization and assignment of incidents and work orders as part of Data Center workload and incident response processes
- Responsible for developing, documenting, submitting, and executing changes to the storage and backup infrastructure
- Provides secure, reliable, high-availability storage and backup services for hosted customers and datacenter infrastructure
- Manages capacity reporting and monitoring to ensure successful datacenter hosting service delivery and support to evolving architecture and customer requirements
- Serve as the technical expert in the design, engineering, operation, sustainment and modification of on-prem and cloud-based Storage Area Network and associated firmware, hardware, and applications as well as the backup infrastructure to support recovery of datacenter and customer systems and data across all supported data center environments
- Collaborate with other teams to provide Disaster Recovery and Continuity of Operations capabilities consistent with the program roadmap
- Collaborate with Operations & Integration architect and other government and contractor team leads to provide effective, efficient and best fit storage and backup solutions for datacenter services
- Coordinate with vendors and government engineering staff for installation, upgrade, configuration, administration, automation and optimization of the Storage and Backup infrastructure
- Develop and maintains storage, backup, and capacity event, performance, and management monitoring plan and provides documentation and training for Technical Assistance Center troubleshooting and event/incident response
- Ensure system security in compliance with DOD/USMC/HCS policy including patching and auditing.
- Automate the environment including routine management checks, reporting, event notifications and actions, software updates and service packs.
- Plan for capacity including monitoring anticipating expansion or contraction requirements and submitting recommended solutions via customer processes
- Support 24x7x365 operations including on-call duties and occasional night and weekend patching or implementation requirements.
- BS 10-12, MS 8-10, Phd 5-7, Will consider HS+14 years of experience.
- IAT II Certification required.
- SECRET Clearance, US Citizen.
- NetBackup or hybrid-cloud backup solution experience required.
- Senior-level experience with the following technologies supported in the hybrid-cloud datacenter:
- NetBackup hybrid-cloud backup solutions
- Cohesity & QStar Archiving solutions
- Dell Unity Storage
- NetApp SAN and NAS
- Cisco MDS and Brocade Fibre Channel Switch management and zoning
- VMWare NSX-T vSAN & virtualization
- vRealize Operations Monitoring
- Experience designing, engineering, operating backup and storage solutions in an enterprise datacenter environment including troubleshooting and DOD-secure configurations (STIG, FIPS).
- Experience implementing and operating tape-archiving solutions.
- Experience implementing DOD/USMC security solutions for Storage and Backup solutions including requirements for STIG, FIPS. implementation, POA&M development, and support for vulnerability management and accreditation requirements.
- Experience automating tasks in support of a high-availbility storage and backup environment.
- Firm understanding of ITSM/ITIL processes and change management protocols.
- Experience working within Agile and traditional project management teams.
- Strong technical leadership and collaboration skills to work within a diverse team of operational and process disciplines to ensure hosting environment successful operation.
- Experience operating, troubleshooting and maintaining Backup and Storage Area Network/Network Attached Storage systems in an enterprise datacenter/hosting environment. NetBackup, Dell Unity, NetApp, HP 3PAR, StoreEver/Store Once experience desired.
- Experience integrating cloud-based storage and backup solutions in a hybrid-cloud environment (Azure, AWS and VMC on AWS desired).
- Cloud Storage/Backup experience desired.
- ITIL certification or ITSM Experience desired.
- Experience implementing proactive monitoring and event/incident management to ensure prompt resolution of anomalies or outages (vROPS monitoring suite preferred).
- Experience collaborating with operations teams including virtual teams at other locations to provide optimal backup and storage solutions for infrastructure and hosted applications (Oracle and SQL requirement preferred).
Peraton drives missions of consequence spanning the globe and extending to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. As the world’s leading mission capability integrator and transformative enterprise IT provider, we deliver trusted and highly differentiated national security solutions and technologies that keep people safe and secure. Peraton serves as a valued partner to essential government agencies across the intelligence, space, cyber, defense, civilian, health, and state and local markets. Every day, our employees do the can’t be done, solving the most daunting challenges facing our customers.
$86,000 - $138,000. This represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.