Job Title : Agriculture and Market Systems Intern
Department : Development Innovations (Economic Growth Sector)
Reports to: Melanie Bittle
Work Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Dates: 3 months, starting on/about June 15 up to December 31, 2023. Shorter/longer periods will be considered depending on the availability of the candidate.
DAI is accepting applications for a paid internship starting in June 2023. The intern will work closely with the Agriculture and Market Systems (AGMS) Practice within the Economic Growth Sector, with consultations with practices within the Environment Sector. It is an opportunity to gain insight and practical experience in the development sector’s efforts in implementing climate smart activities and solutions. Interns will also work in the broader development agriculture and market systems arena, learning about donor supported initiatives that support, mobilize and deploy agriculture practices for climate related purposes (adaptation, conservation, disaster risk, resilience, ESG, etc.). The internship will involve aggregating information, best practices, tools, presentations, technical briefs, templates and other products from DAI’s own work in agriculture and market systems to apply to existing and future projects. It will also involve conducting and synthesizing secondary research in cutting edge efforts in the areas listed above, and also identifying opportunities to expand in-house knowledge and skills in the area of climate smart agriculture.
This is a part-time, temporary position.
· Develop and build out a summary of DAI’s work in agriculture (including climate smart agriculture [CSA] and market systems) across its various business units (building upon work done by the Climate, Agriculture, and Food Systems working group), highlighting projects, approaches, tools and other key details and key outcomes.
· Build a repository by gathering relevant documents, reports, technical notes, tools, and policy and procedures templates as it relates to our agriculture and market systems work.
· Support new business efforts through:
o Research on specific opportunities, countries and/or agriculture and market systems.
o Helping to consolidate DAI’s agriculture and market systems partners profiles and data into the broader DAI customer relationship management (CRM) system.
· Provide support for development of leadership blogs and short white papers on topics related to agriculture (including CSA), nutrition-sensitive agriculture, and market systems.
· Contribute to at least one thought leadership research assignment or white paper.
· Develop standard “quals” or qualification statements that highlight DAI’s specific expertise in agriculture (including CSA), nutrition-sensitive agriculture, and market systems that can be used in requests for expressions of interest as well as solicited and unsolicited proposals.
· Build a database of partners and experts in the agriculture (including CSA), nutrition-sensitive agriculture, and market systems industries.
· Support planning and developing of materials for workshops and/or conferences (such as the Market Systems Symposium 2023) based on the knowledge gathered. Situation permitting, this may include on-site brown bag presentations on successful and innovative examples of our work both from within and external of DAI.
· Any other research and reporting duties identified by the AGMS practice.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
· Current post-graduate study relevant to development, agriculture, environment, economics and business, or a similar related field.
· Demonstrated interest in international development, international business, and/or climate change.
· Strong organizational capabilities and communication and writing skills.
· Ability to work independently as proven through academic work and/or previous work experience.
· Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams, create inclusive work environments, and work effectively within a culturally diverse environment.
· Authorized to work in United States.
Compensation & Benefits:
All internships at DAI are paid an hourly rate based on the individual’s current level of education, ranging from $22 per hour for those who are in university to $27 per hour for those who have completed a graduate level degree.
Additionally, interns may be eligible to accrue sick leave based on their hours worked in accordance with local law; and may be eligible to participate in DAI’s 401(k) retirement plan, with a company match. Eligibility for DAI’s other health and welfare benefits is subject to the plan documents. Detailed information will be provided at the time a formal offer is extended.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting discrimination in all forms, nurturing respect for our interpersonal relationships, and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races, ethnicities, and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI requires COVID-19 vaccinations subject to accommodation required by law.Employment Type: Part-Time Temporary